The mission of the Denison Homestead is to connect its descendants and the local community to the history, land and environment of its 360+ year-old family farm.
Our vision is for the Denison Homestead to serve as an unmatched resource for the study of the history, heritage and genealogy of the Denison Family specifically and the Homestead’s Connecticut setting in general, serving as a single repository of all related artifacts, accessible to scholars, family members and enthusiasts alike.
The Denison Society
In 1930, the Denison Society was founded by the last resident and owner of the Homestead, Anne Borodell Denison Gates. Mrs. Gates invited hundreds of Denison descendants for a picnic and announced that she wanted to create an organization that would care for the Homestead upon her passing. Members of this organization have been the stewards of the 1717 manor house and land ever since.
The Denison Homestead owns over 160 acres of meadows, woodlands, and rock ledges only five minutes from downtown Mystic and Stonington. Most of the land has been kept in its natural state since the 1600’s.
This is the official name of the 1717 house museum that is the centerpiece of the Homestead, restored in 1946 by J. Frederick Kelly. Each room represents a different period of history in America.
In 1979, the Denison Homestead was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.