Archaeological Dig for Captain George Denison’s Palisades ( stockade) this June
Dr. Kevin McBride, a UCONN anthropology professor and research director of the Pequot museum, is hopefully going to lead an archaeological dig behind the 1717 house museums this June, 2011. He and some of his UCONN field students are hoping to find remains of Captain George Denison’s Stockade.
Captain Denison was one of the first settlers of Mystic in 1654. He was granted 200 acres for his service to the early militia. He built his first house, a rough log house, on a rocky knoll overlooking the meadows. Forever cognizant of the possibility of Indian attacks, he surrounded this rude home with a stout stockade, enclosing a spring and a couple of acres of land, surrounded by ravines. The spot was undoubtedly selected, with the eye of a military leader, for the purpose of defense against Indians.
This Denison Society owned land, where the stockade was, has been virtually empty for over 360 years! Reportedly over 300 men, including English and Indians, gathered at the stockade several times during King Phillip’s War. Researchers are hoping to find numerous artifacts that will tell us about the colonists and Indians that lived in this area in the colonial period.